Saturday, July 2, 2011

A State of National Non-Being

I woke up this morning and looked out the window to find a large thunderhead to the south of our place, expanding out our direction. I was up earlier than usual this morning, so I sat down and watched a little Good Morning America. The weather guy came on. He drew close attention to the situation of extreme heat in the Southwest, which is important. He zoomed out to a view of the whole country and there in the middle was the storm system I saw earlier, making a sweep across Nebraska into South Dakota. Standing back and looking at the map, he said, "Country-wide, no one's looking to get rain today."

As we drove to town this morning, the raindrops trickling down the windshield of the pickup, I contemplated the wash of non-being cresting over the hills of fly-over country: I am no one.

No comments:

Post a Comment