Friday, July 1, 2011

Ducks and Swallows

We've been cutting in some alfalfa the last few days. It's really good, thick hay. What's especially satisfying about it is that you can tell the difference between what's cut and what's not. The dark green grass is in neat rows and in between are dark brown roots and stems.

I narrowly avoided two ducks who were nesting out in the field, but I can't speak so confidently about their nests. I try to pick up the header just in case it's not too late. One of the ducks escaped way off to the side of the swather, so I had no time to react. Luckily, on my next pass, I noticed a white patch just inside the path of my previous pass. Getting down to inspect, I was pleasantly surprised to find four unbroken eggs:



I piled up some grass around them to help hide them and their mommy from unwanted guests:



Maybe she'll go back...maybe not. It was sheer luck that they weren't crushed in the first place, so any chance they have after that is a second shot at life. Speaking of a second shot, I found a swallow nest near our house a couple nights ago. What I noticed first was not the nest, but the little chick underneath it. It had fallen out of the nest and, as I looked more closely, it was still breathing:



Ugly little thing, but kinda cute in its own way. I managed to squeeze him back into the nest overhead, so maybe momma will feed him? He's got a better chance there than on the ground below, at least.

I've been involved in a wedding the last couple days, so not much ranching stuff has been on my agenda lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment